PI-1206 Homeschool Enrollment Report (HOMER) 2018-2019

Special Education FAQs

Is my school district required to provide special education and related services for my child while he/she is enrolled in a home-based private educational program?

No, school districts are not required to provide special education and related services to children with disabilities enrolled in home-based private educational programs.

However, since neither federal nor state law prohibits districts from providing special education services to home-schooled children, school districts may provide any special education and related services to these children that they deem appropriate. If a public school district chooses to provide these services, the costs are not aided by DPI under federal or state categorical aids.

Public school districts are required to identify and evaluate all children in the district who may have a disability. If a child is found to have a disability, the district must offer a placement that would provide the child a free appropriate public education. Generally, this placement means the child would be enrolled in a public school.

If you suspect that your child may have a disability, you can request that he/she be evaluated by the public school. The district will then perform a publicly-funded evaluation and, if your child is found to be a child with a disability, offer your child a placement to meet his/her educational needs.

Contact Us

If you have questions about the PI-1206 Homeschool Enrollment Report (HOMER), please contact Diane Sullivan at (608) 267-9248 or toll-free at (888) 245-2732, extension 1, or send an email to Homeschooling@dpi.wi.gov.

Go to Top